Social Media Data Analyst
- Job type:Freelance
The purpose of this position is to help clients use social data to make better decisions and to understand their customers. The analysis skills needed are largely qualitative; it is important that the candidate is skilled in interpreting meaning from textual and numerical data.
The successful candidate will be commercially minded, and able to demonstrate that they can understand consumer motivations and translate these into suggested actions for a business. We are looking for someone who is at home 'in' the data- analysing and finding meaning- and able to think critically and report trends to the creative team.
- 2+ years full time experience in a market research environment
- A high level of competency in Microsoft Excel (including formulas, pivot tables & charting), Word and PowerPoint
- Experience using NetBase a strong plus
- Experience presenting to clients or creative teams
- An analytical mind able to make sense of qualitative and quantitative data and make recommendations based on consumer trends
- Commercially-minded, with the ability to highlight the interesting/actionable findings in a broad and complex dataset, linking these to specific business objectives
- An excellent communicator, with the ability to clearly explain complex ideas and data, both verbally with clients and in written reports
- Well versed in the major channels and sites in social media
- Calm under pressure and collaborative in working style
- Highly organized and capable of managing workload and meeting deadlines
- The ability to quickly pick up use of new technologies
Bonus points for:
- Direct experience handling digital and social media data, especially social media monitoring tools
- Strong written and verbal skills are essential
Core role responsibilities:
- Work with clients to translate their needs into workable research projects.
- Write boolean search strings to collect online data for research projects.
- Work heavily with NetBase, Crimson Hexagon or Sysomos
- Experience working Excel and PowerPoint.
- Analyze this data to meet the research objectives and provide recommendations based on the data.
- Present your research back to the client (both face to face and over the phone) and hold Q&A sessions regarding your work.
- Project managing/co-ordinating other contributors to complete parts of larger reports.
- Staying up to date with the social media industry, in particular news relating to new analytical ideas and methodologies.
- Continually seek to identify, suggest and implement improvements to research methods.